For Questions 3–8, follow the directions in the problem. Then write a number sentence for your figure. The red circle is the unit whole.
- Show using yellow and two other colors.
- Show using yellow and two other colors. (Hint: Show with three yellows first, then cover the yellow pieces or trade pieces.)
- Show using black, aqua, and orange.
- Show without using orange.
- Show one whole using one color. (Use any color but red.)
- Show one whole using a different color.
- What can you say about the numerator and denominator of a fraction that is equal to 1?
- Show using two colors.
Fractions Greater Than One
= + + + +
5 × =
A fraction is called an improper fraction when the numerator is greater than or equal to the denominator. and are improper fractions. A fraction is called a proper fraction when the numerator is less than the denominator. is a proper fraction.
= 1 +
Numbers that are made up of a whole number and a fraction are called mixed numbers. 1 is a mixed number.